Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ok sewing machine, you win!

I have wanted a new sewing machine for a long time, but had mostly accepted its shortcomings as quirks and was a little too stubborn to get a new one.



I got my sewing machine when I was living in LA attending FIDM... that would be about 8 years ago now. It was a gift from my dad, and a very necessary one. How ever would I have been able to pull off so many sewing all-nighters without my sewing machine? The sewing rooms had a pretty wide range of hours, but I assure you they were not open 24 hours. More importantly, the Cafe was only open until about 6:00 if my memory serves me correctly and as a student I was fueled by caffeine and nicotine, so I am sure I would have died.



Random tangent: one of my instructors told me once that drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes were what she missed most about quitting smoking. Now that I don't smoke any more I understand, completely.



there are a few visible reasons to purchase a new sewing machine.







I have to use a pony tail holder to keep my thread on the machine.







That thing comes off, and pretty much never stays on.











There is something wrong with the bobbin threader and it will not stay in the position it needs to to be wound by the machine so it has to be at least partially manually wound.







It has also been through enough moves that it is missing some very important parts, like its zipper foot.



I have been able to deal with all of these things, as long as the machine still worked but clearly it is time to retire this old machine. More and more frequently it does not stitch properly, it usually does not stitch fast enough and ocasionally it does not stitch at all! I was going to wait until Christmas, but I don't think I can do that.



A friend once told me "When want turns to need, you will do it." How true was that. Of course he was referring to an ab workout, but whatever. (by the way, with all of the ab workouts I have been willing to do, a have never felt the need to punish myself with this particular workout-but I digress-)



So, machine old friend, I thank you for many years of excellent service, but I am afraid I will have to let you go. I am sorry, but in today's economy a severance package is unrealistic.



:)



But now I have to decide what I want, and how much I can spend. Which brand? most people swear by Brother sewing machines. I am not sure I care as long as it meets my basic needs. I also have not decided if I will buy a brand new one, or if I will look for a better new one.



Oh... I have a great new how-to to share with you all! Maybe tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. LOL I had and still ahve my 1st sewing machine. It said NO MORE to me when I had it for...you ready....39 years!!! I got it when I was 9 years old. It made tons of clothes. I cried when I couldn't make it work. I cried for days. The manfriend bought me a Singer. Now I really appreciate it and have used it and used it, but it is not the sewing machine my old Riccar was. My Riccar would sew thru leather. Of course, that is probaly why it quit on me. It made it thru a fire, only had to be cleaned and have new wires put on it. I still have it and one day, I am going to get it out and talk sweet to it and maybe, just maybe we can sew together again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get a new machine soon!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I think if you had it professionally cleaned and tuned it would be almost like new. I know this can be around 100 bucks. Could be a band aid until you decide. Since it is a big decision, this way you won't rush into a machine. Good luck, I have been shopping for a new machine for 2 cleanings now, the repair man says I am wearing out the metal - I think I should be proud.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too Funny! It is hard to make a decision when you know you are going to use it for a long time. I have a singer and love it, have had it for a long time, a few years ago I thought I needed a serger, so I bought the top of the line baby lock, only used it a hand full of times, so I guess I really didn't need it, I love my old faithful singer :)

    Good luck :) regards, T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, poor thing! I can tell it's trying very hard though! I've only had my sewing machine for a couple of years; I'd cry rivers if it ever broke.

    [inkihandmade]

    ReplyDelete