Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Old knife made anew...

Hi, Adam here.....

A couple of weeks ago, my 5th cousin 17 times removed (or something like that) asked me if I could fix up an old boyscout knife that he had been given, when it was new, in 1942, when he was a boyscout. He wanted to give it to my 7th cousin 19 times removed (or something like that). So I said, "Sure, I'll see what I can do." Of course I forgot to take pictures first, so you can't really tell how much better it looks now, but take my word for it. There is a bit of an improvement.
The whole blade was rusty, the aluminum pommel was dull and oxidized, and the sheath was falling apart.
I was going to just restitch the sheath, but the leather and stitching really were falling apart, and I found out that there had been fringe along one side, so I made a new one, using the old as a pattern, and layering the tooled front on top. I think it turned out pretty well.

For the knife, i mostly just polished it up, and made it mostly pretty again, although a little bit of the rust was too deep to take out all the way. And of course, I sharpened it up nicely >:)

1 comment: